Swadlincote bar once home to historic cinema set to reopen after revamp


A new club is reopening on a former Swadlincote cinema site steeped in more than a hundred years of history after being closed for several months for a major revamp.

Roger Purewal, along with a family consortium, has run The Lounge Bar, in West Street, Swadlincote, since 2015, turning its fortunes around following a previous closure due to falling trade.

Three years later, it has now been closed for several months to enable a revamp of the venue and is earmarked to reopen on October 5.

Mr Purewal said clubbers can expect an evening full of pop, 80s and chart music.



It has also previously been known as The Empire bar and restaurant

He said: “Every now and then a pub needs a revamp so we decided to do it. We have owned it for three years.

“We have been closed for several months to give it a fresh, new look.

“It will improve the late night scene, and we will have VIP bookings and will be taking Christmas party bookings.

“We have decided to keep The Lounge Bar name as a lot people know us as that.

“We have old and new staff and security on the door.”

Read More

News from South Derbyshire

Mr Purewal has successfully kept the venue open for three years since taking over in 2015. The venue had closed its doors earlier that year after operating as a pub and nightclub at weekends and struggling to attract customers.

Before that it had been operating under the name of The Paramount, which opened in 2007 and closed in 2013.

ALSO READ   Cinema licensing body wants KSA to attract producers from all over the Arab world

Creating 20 jobs at the time, The Paramount opened as a pub in April 2007 inviting hundreds of punters including VIP guests and town traders for its first night, following a refurbishment of the former Empire Cinema building in the town centre.

The contest to name the new pub was won by Burton Mail reader and Elmsleigh Infant School teacher Joanne Clamp, in honour of the former car company The Paramount based in Swadlincote.



The building has four floors

The building is best known as the former Empire Cinema, which closed its doors in the 1960s.

The site was originally home to the Empire Picture Palace which opened in 1912 with a hall seating 500 people on one level and later housed the New Empire cinema, built in 1931 to seat 716 people.

It closed in the 1960s and later housed an amusement arcade for several years until bought by the Barracuda Group (later the Bramwell Pub Company) and converted into a Smith & Jones pub named the Paramount (after the Paramount Car Company), which opened in 2007. This closed in 2013.

Read More

More pub stories

Due to its heritage, the building even has its own plaque as part of the recently unveiled heritage trail in the town.

The venue, still to carry the name of the Lounge Bar, will open at 8pm on October 5.

We’ve launched our very own app for Android and Apple devices which can be tailored to deliver the news and sport that you’re interested in.

To download the IOS app click here .

To download the Android app click here .



READ SOURCE

Leave a Reply