DOZENS of patients have been given “fatal” drugs doses in NHS blunders, we can reveal.
Safety records show 66 mix-ups in one year so dangerous they are logged as “death” incidents.
One patient with a broken leg died after being given ten times the correct dosage of medicines. Another died after doctors twice gave them a drug they were allergic to.
Health chiefs say not all the 66 patients may have died due to the mistake but it had “potential for severe harm”.
The cases — from April 2017 to March 2018 — were disclosed by NHS Improvement after a Freedom of Information request.
They are up 40 per cent from three years ago — when there were 47.
It comes as NHS Resolution paid out £75million to 1,149 patients after mix-ups in the past eight years.
Joyce Robins, of Patient Concern, said the victims’ families will be left “bitter and angry”.
She added: “You hope when your loved one goes into hospital they are going to be helped and not made worse because of a mistake.”
NHS Improvement’s Aidan Fowler said the cases were “rare”. But he added: “We are developing an ambitious patient safety strategy that includes a focus on medication safety.
“We will continue to work to make the NHS even safer for patients.”