Multiple fatalities after shooting at two Christchurch mosques, four arrested – TVNZ

Police have confirmed multiple fatalities after shootings at two mosques in Christchurch this afternoon.

Four people are in custody, Police Commissioner Mike Bush said, but it is not known if other gunmen are still on the loose.

The attackers were apprehended by local police staff in acts of bravery, Mr Bush said.

He said improvised explosive devices were found on vehicles used by the attackers.

A person appearing to be a white supremacist issued a warning on social media ahead of the attack and live streamed video of at least one of the shootings taking place.

He is understood to be an Australian man, a police source there named him as Brenton Tarrant.

The armed offenders squad attend a shooting in Christchurch

The armed offenders squad attend a shooting in Christchurch
Source: 1 NEWS

Parts of central Christchurch, including schools, were in lockdown after the incidents . School lockdowns were lifted just befpore 6pm.

Eyewitnesses said as many as 15 people may been hit at one mosque, the Masjid Al Noor mosque on Deans Ave.

One eyewitness told 1 News a gunman came in the front door of the mosque. “Everybody just ran to the back door to save themselves,” he said.

They hid under cars while the firing continued. Some people then jumped a fence to escape and hid in a nearby house.

There was also another shooting at mosque in Linwood Ave.

Your playlist will load after this ad

Ambulances continue to arrive with the victims.
Source: 1 NEWS

Multiple people have been seen arriving on stretchers at Christchurch Hospital, including children.

It appears automatic weapons were used and there were many shots fired.

ALSO READ   Singapore Air re-routed flights after N Korea July missile

Another eyewitness Mohammed Nazir told 1 News that he saw the gunman come into the mosque and he saw people injured on the floor, including two women.

He said there was lots of blood on the floor.

Police have put in cordons shutting down areas of the city, and schools in the area are in lockdown.

Your playlist will load after this ad

The man said he ran away from the shooter to a spot behind the mosque where he called police.
Source: 1 NEWS

They asked people to keep out of the area in Christchurch and to stay away from all mosques in New Zealand today.

Armed police have reportedly been seen at mosques across the country as a precautionary measure.


Leave a Reply