KANGAR: Deputy Foreign Minister Datuk Marzuki Yahya (pix) said there is no reason to bring back Malaysian nationals from Christchurch, New Zealand following the shooting tragedy, as the tragedy was not a war but an act of terrorism carried out by an individual.
According to Marzuki, more than 1,200 Malaysian nationals in the town who were registered with the Malaysian High Commission had been asked to communicate directly with the Commission besides being advised to stay away from public places currently.
“We will take necessary measures such as bringing them back if the situation became more serious,” he said.
Marzuki said Foreign Minister Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah would communicate with New Zealand Deputy Prime Minister to find out the latest situation in Christchurch.
On Friday afternoon, a man opened fire at random at the Al-Noor Mosque near Hagley Park and Linwood Mosque in Christchurch which killed 49 people while more than 20 others were injured.
The suspect identified as Australian national, Brenton Tarrant, 28, was charged at a Christchurch court for murder.
When arrested with two other suspects, the New Zealand authorities found several explosive materials on them which were to be used as what were described as planned terrorist attacks. — Bernama