Missing UNIOSUN Student Resurfaces, Says ‘I Went Hustling After Losing My School Fees To MMM’


Osogbo – A student of Osun State University (Uniosun) Olaniyan Olayemi Joshua, whose story went viral on the internet, after he was announced missing, has resurfaced.

The student was presented to the newsmen in Osogbo by Osun State Police Commissioner,  Fimihan Adeoye.

The story of Olaniyan Olayemi, who was said to have slept at Ojodu Police Station, in Ogun state drew attention of many internet users after someone, believed to be his mate in school, said she lost contact with him few hours after Olaniyan told her, he was passing the night at the Ojodu police station.

But speaking to newsmen, Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr. Fimihan Adeoye, said the men of State Security Service (SSS) brought the missing student to them after he turned himself in.

He said the story in circulation, which suggested that the policemen in Ojodu may have harmed the student when he passed the night in the station, was incorrect and misleading, adding that the boy never slept in the police station.

He urged members of the public to scrutinize every information in circulation, especially in the new media to before passing judgement, in the general interest of the public.

“From findings, the boy last paid school fees in 200 level and he is presently in 400Level. The information in the public was tilting towards police harming the boy when he never slept at the station,”  Adeoye said.

Explaining his movement on the day he was declared missing, Olaniyan said: “I went to Lagos and it was getting late. I could not return to Osogbo that day. I decided to go to Ojodu police station to pass the night. One of my friends, a lady called me and I told her, that since I could not make it back to Osogbo that day, I have decided to pass the night at Ojodu police station.

ALSO READ   Buhari approves Nigeria's hosting of Lake Chad conference on ecosystem

“After speaking to her, I changed my mind. I just looked for space at a shopping complex and I passed the night there. The first thing the following morning, I got a free ride going to Ilorin. When I got to Ilorin and started doing menial jobs to raise money.

“I had to work to raise money because I have spent my school fees. I used my school fees for MMM and I lost the money. I didn’t deliberately mislead the public. My friend that released the information online later called and said I should return home.

“She said SSS people were on her trail. She said she would commit suicide if I didn’t return. Because of that threat, I left Ilorin and went to one of our neighbours, who is a retired officer of SSS. The man, after listening to my side of the story, led me to SSS office. I am indeed very sorry for whatever embarrassment that misinformation might have caused the police.”




Leave a Reply