As Prince Harry and Meghan Markle prepare to welcome Baby Sussex, the official news of their split from Prince William and Kate Middleton to start their own royal household has drummed up all sorts of rumors. The latest buzz is that the Queen wasn’t fully supportive of the split.
The split gets an official announcement
Last week, Buckingham Palace and Kensington Palace announced that Prince Harry and Prince William would create separate households, with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex breaking away from the Cambridges.
The official statement provided the specifics, noting: “The
Queen has agreed to the creation of a new Household for The Duke and Duchess of
Sussex, following their marriage in May last year. The Household, which will be
created with the support of The Queen and The Prince of Wales, will be
established in the spring.”
Further, the statement noted:
The Duke of Sussex currently has his own private office, which has been supporting The Duchess since the engagement of Their Royal Highnesses in November 2017. This long-planned move will ensure that permanent support arrangements for The Duke and Duchess’s work are in place as they start their family and move to their official residence at Frogmore Cottage.
The Queen has given permission for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to base their Household Office at Buckingham Palace. Their Royal Highnesses will appoint new communications staff, who will form part of the Buckingham Palace communications team and report to The Queen’s Communications Secretary, Donal McCabe. Kensington Palace will continue to support Their Royal Highnesses until that team is in place.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s communications lead announced
Kensington Palace provided an additional update about who will be taking the lead on communications for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.
The announcement shared: “Sara Latham has been appointed to head up communications for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, reporting directly to The Queen’s Communication Secretary. Sara joins from
Why the Queen didn’t allow total independence from the palace
Though the official statement notes that the Queen signed off on the split and creation of a new household for Prince Harry and Markle, a source told the Sunday Time: “They wanted their household to be entirely independent of Buckingham Palace, but were told ‘no.’”
The source added: “There is an institutional structure that doesn’t allow that kind of independence. The feeling is that it’s good to have the Sussexes under the jurisdiction of Buckingham Palace, so they can’t just go off and do their own thing.”
Rumors swirled about the split
A source told The Sunday Times: “The brothers have leant on
each other and looked after each other since their mother died. But now they
have their own families, they no longer rely on each other as before. They have
become different people with different outlooks on life.”