- Barcelona 2-0 Chelsea (Agg: 3-1)
- Dembele adds second (20)
- Messi gets early goal (3)
- Messi, Iniesta return for hosts
- Giroud in attack with Hazard & Willian
- Moses, Rudiger start for Blues
- Champions League Last-16
- Second Leg at the Nou Camp
- First leg finished 1-1 at Stamford Bridge
42: The ball falls to Iniesta, who sweeps a first-time pass through in search of Messi. The ball evades the Argentinean though, who looks to be in an offside position.
41: There are arms everywhere as Pique and Giroud jump for the ball. Pique goes down holding his face but there’s no intent from the Frenchman as play continues.
38: CHANCES! Willian cuts the ball back from the byline for Alonso, who forces Ter Stegen into action. The German goalkeeper palms the ball back into play though and the danger’s not over. Seconds later, Kante bursts through the Barca defence before dragging a left-footed shot wide of the far post. Was Fabregas better placed to take the shot on? The midfielder was coming onto the ball on his right foot but Kante got there before him.
37: WIDE! Iniesta shifts the ball onto his left foot before dragging his shot well wide of the target.
34: FREE-KICK! Pique almost latches onto the ball into the box but it safely runs through to Courtois.
33: A final warning for Rudiger, who trips Messi right over by the touchline.
32: Azpilicueta whips the ball into the Barcelona penalty area in search of Giroud but it’s too close to Ter Stegen, who makes a comfortable catch.
31: Dembele attempts to pick out the run of Rakitic but Rudiger is alert to the danger, making a crucial interception.
28: SAVE! Barcelona are turning on the style now! Iniesta twists and turns in the Chelsea penalty area before playing a sublime back heel into the path of Suarez, who gets a shot away first time. This time, Courtois narrows the angle and makes a smart block.
25: Worth noting that Dembele’s goal means we will not have extra time tonight.
19: The referee gets in the way as Messi and Iniesta look to combine. It allows Chelsea to win possession back and they move the ball forward through Moses.
16: Christensen gives Suarez a shove on the halfway line and the former Liverpool striker goes down holding his head. It’s definitely a free-kick but Suarez makes a meal of the challenge.
13: SAVE! Willian ignores the run of Moses and strikes a low shot goalwards. he hits the target but it’s a simple save for Ter Stegen from that distance.
12: Barca clear the initial cross into the box but Chelsea recycle the ball well with hazard picking it up on the edge of the penalty area. he slips the ball through for Rudiger, who pulls a shot wide of the far post. It wouldn’t have counted anyway as the flag is up for offside against the defender.
10: Moses plays a give and go with Giroud before being blocked of by Umtiti. The referee has a long think but eventually blows his whistle to award Chelsea a free-kick.
9: Chelsea have responded well to going behind. Willian slides the ball through for Moses on the overlap and Iniesta is forced into a sliding challenge. The midfielder does brilliantly though and times the tackle perfectly.
Timed at two minutes, eight seconds, that is Lionel Messi’s quickest ever Champions League goal.
Lionel Messi, who scored his side’s goal in the 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge in the first leg, returns after missing Barcelona ‘s win at Malaga at the weekend due to the birth of his third child.Andres Iniesta has also returned amid injury fears going into tonight’s game at the Nou Camp. The Spaniard was expected to miss out against the Blues after picking up a hamstring problem in the recent win against Atletico Madrid, yet he has recovered to face the EPL Champions.Apparently Messi is growing as player, not just as a goalscorer, and he understands what is required in every part of the pitch and every stage of the game.The Argentina international has appeared when he is needed this season, especially in the big games, so the Catalans have a strong chance of progressing. However, Chelsea will have their moments, and it remains to be seen whether they take it.Manager for the two sides have already been speaking tough ahead of the Camp Nou match.
Chelsea will “have to suffer” in the second leg of their Champions League last-16 tie against Barcelona, says Blues manager Antonio Conte.
Lionel Messi’s equaliser cancelled out Willian’s opener in the first leg at Stamford Bridge.
“For the manager, for every coach, it is not simple to sleep a lot, especially before these types of games,” said Conte.
“I hope my players also have the same excitement [as me]”.
Chelsea will hope to take inspiration from their 2-2 semi-final draw at the Nou Camp in 2012, giving them a 3-2 victory on aggregate.
That year, under Roberto di Matteo, Chelsea went on to win the trophy, beating Bayern Munich on penalties in the final.
Conte said: “You must be excited to play this kind of game at the Nou Camp. A lot of my players have never played in this stadium and we want to try to do our best.
“In the first leg, we played a really good game and it was almost perfect. That was against a team that I consider one of the best in the world.
“But when we made a mistake, we paid for it. The final result of that games gives a great advantage to Barcelona.
“We know very well the philosophy of Barcelona. For sure they want to dominate and play their football, to score and to win the game, and we have to try to do our best.
“We have to concentrate, to stay with your head on the pitch in every moment and to know that there are moments we have to suffer. Not only Chelsea, but every team who plays Barcelona has to suffer.
“They have to be compact and when you have the ball you have to have the feeling in your heart to create the chance to score.”
Barca coach Ernesto Valverde added: “It is a very important game. It is down to the player. It is a game you can only play if you are 100%.”
Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger is available again after missing last Saturday’s win over Crystal Palace, while the Blues have no other injury worries.
- 68% of away sides to draw the first leg of a Champions League knockout tie 1-1 progress to the next round (23/34).
- This will be the 14th meeting between these sides in the Champions League – only two fixtures have been played more often in the competition – Bayern v Real Madrid (18) and Barcelona v Milan (15).
- Six of the 13 previous meetings have ended in draws (46%) – of all fixtures to have been played at least 10 times, only Chelsea v Liverpool has ended level more often (50% – 5/10).
- Barcelona have lost only four of their 39 Champions League knockout games at home (W25 D10), with Liverpool the only English team to win there (2-1 in February 2007).
- Barcelona have won 23 Champions League games against English clubs, more than any other side in the competition.
- Lionel Messi scored his first ever Champions League goal against Chelsea at the ninth time of asking in the first leg. He has scored more goals against English clubs than any other player in the competition (18).
- Luis Suarez has failed to score in the last 881 minutes of play in the Champions League, his longest drought in the competition. His last goal came back in March 2017 against Paris St-Germain.
- Chelsea are unbeaten in their last eight Champions League games against Barcelona (W2 D6), with their last four visits to Nou Camp ending level.
- The Blues have been shown four red cards in Champions League games against Barcelona, accounting for 33% of their total red cards in the competition (4/12).
- Chelsea have already won at Atletico Madrid this season – they could become only the third team to win away at two Spanish clubs in the same Champions League campaign after AC Milan (v Barcelona and Deportivo in 2000-01) and Roma (v Real Madrid and Valencia in 2002-03).
- Six of Willian’s nine Champions League goals for Chelsea have been from outside the box. Since he joined the Blues in 2013, he’s scored more from long range than any other player in the competition.
- Eden Hazard has set up his team-mates for a shot on 23 occasions in the Champions League this season, the joint-most alongside Neymar.