Cristiano Ronaldo claimed a ‘clear conscience’ in the face of rape allegations against him. (AP: Andre Penner)
Cristiano Ronaldo has denied an accusation of rape against him, saying he has a “clear conscience” as he awaits the conclusions of an investigation.
The 33-year-old Juventus and Portugal star has been accused by Kathryn Mayorga, who says he raped her in a Las Vegas hotel in 2009.
The Portugal and Juventus star released a statement on Wednesday via his management company and on Twitter in both Portuguese and English, saying “rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in”.
Cristiano tweet: I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me. Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in.
Cristiano tweet: My clear conscious will thereby allow me to await with tranquillity the results of any and all investigations.
Ms Mayorga’s civil lawsuit, filed in state court in Las Vegas, alleges Ronaldo raped the then-24-year-old in his penthouse suite at a Las Vegas hotel.
The lawsuit seeks more than $US200,000 ($281,548) in damages, naming Ronaldo and an unnamed team of fixers as defendants.
The fixers, described as “personal reputation protection specialists”, were allegedly hired to obstruct a police criminal investigation and persuade Ms Mayorga to take $US375,000 ($526,000) to keep quiet.
The lawsuit makes 11 accusations against Ronaldo or those working for him, including conspiracy, defamation, abusing a vulnerable person, battery, infliction of emotional distress, coercion and fraud, racketeering and conspiracy, breach of contract, abuse of process and negligence for allowing details of the confidential settlement to become public.
Ms Mayorga’s lawyer, Larissa Drohobyczer said on Tuesday that Ms Mayorga, now 34, was “emotionally fragile” and agreed to an out-of-court financial settlement nine years ago because she never wanted her name made public.
Ronaldo threatens to sue German magazine
Lawyers for Ronaldo, one of the world’s best-known athletes have threatened to sue German magazine Der Spiegel for publishing “blatantly illegal” accusations by Ms Mayorga.
Der Spiegel’s deputy editor-in-chief, Alfred Weinzierl, said the magazine had worked professionally and stood by its story, which it said was allowed under Germany’s press laws.
The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police confirmed an incident report with the number listed in Ms Mayorga’s lawsuit was filed on the night of the alleged attack, and said the case was reopened last month.
A Las Vegas police spokesman said that because the investigation was ongoing, the department would not release a police report Ms Mayorga filed the day of the alleged attack.
The lawsuit said Ms Mayorga also went to a hospital, where a sexual assault medical examination was conducted.
However, she refused to tell police the location of the alleged attack or to identify a suspect other than to say he was a European soccer player, the police spokesman said.
Ronaldo has been named player of the year five times and transferred to Juventus from Real Madrid this summer for 100 million euros ($161 million).