- Apple on Monday finally unveiled its long-rumoured TV streaming service: Apple TV Plus.
- Oprah Winfrey, Steven Spielberg, and other big names will be making series for the service.
- Apple didn’t announce pricing, nor a launch date.
Apple on Monday finally unveiled its long-rumoured TV service during an event at the Steve Jobs Theater in Cupertino, California: Apple TV Plus, an ad-free streaming service that’s part of the revamped Apple TV app.
Apple said it was producing a variety of original content for the service, though it didn’t announced pricing or a release date.
Additionally, Apple unveiled a major update to its Apple TV app alongside plans to bring the app to several new places, such as Samsung smart TVs.
Apple outlined some of its goals as it pushes into TV:
Apple TV Plus
Apple’s biggest announcement was its push into original content production, which is tied to the new Apple TV Plus service. To showcase some of those creations, Apple invited several creators onstage:
- Steven Spielberg announced a reboot of his classic TV series “Amazing Stories.”
- Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Aniston, and Steve Carell announced a new sitcom named “The Morning Show.”
- Alfre Woodard and Jason Momoa announced a travel show.
- Kumail Nanjiani announced a docuseries about immigrants living in the US called “Little America.”
A new show from the folks behind “Sesame Street” was also unveiled, “Helpsters,” focused on teaching coding to kids. Big Bird showed up to announce the show, alongside Cody, the host of the “Helpsters.”
And that wasn’t all: “Star Wars” director J.J. Abrams appeared alongside the singer-songwriter Sara Bareilles to announce a new show named “Little Voice.”
No trailers were shown for any of the shows, but a sizzle reel with clips of each was run.
Additionally, a variety of other creatives were announced as working on shows for Apple TV Plus, such as Bill Murray and Aaron Paul.
It wouldn’t be an Apple event without a “one last thing” – and in this case that was Oprah Winfrey.
Winfrey said she was working on two new shows for Apple TV Plus, in addition to bringing some form of her famous book club to the service.
No pricing or availability was announced.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa: